Root Chakra Balancing
The Root Chakra (First Chakra) is located at the perineum and is angled down from the body, opening toward the Earth. As the name implies, your Root Chakra is your foundation. Like the roots of a tree, it connects you to the Earth, drawing energies from the Earth to nourish and strengthen your body and energy field. A strong root is essential to stability in your life.
Properties of the Root Chakra:
Root Chakra Physical Influences
The Root Chakra influences the spine, the genital and rectal areas of the body, the male reproductive system, the bladder and the coccyx. This chakra also influences energy to the legs, knees and feet.
Root Chakra Consciousness Influences
The Root Chakra deals with issues of physical and egoic survival. This includes aspects of life that involve self-preservation, including work, home, family, money, food and other relationships that involve security. Your confidence in, or fear of your ability/inability to survive are governed by the health of the Root Chakra. Safety and survival instincts such as fight or flight responses and informing impulses, including your ability to sense danger, recognize of truth, and gut-level recognition stem from here. The Root Chakra also oversees sexuality as it relates to procreation and survival. In this, sexuality is used to establish security, power/dominance, and/or safety. It also relates to physical vitality through physical enjoyment, presence, strength, being grounded in the present, and the feeling of being in your body.
Is Your Root Chakra in Balance?
Your chakras are rich, deep, complex and many layered energy systems that hold the history of your life experience. They are constantly interacting with and impacted by the world around you. As you go through life, each experience affects your energy and health. A healthy chakra processes and digests these experiences, enabling healthy growth. Experiences, such as conflicts or traumatic events that are not processed and digested lead to imbalances (i.e. become over or under active), blockages, damage and dysfunction in the affected chakra(s).
Chronic stress, trauma, conflict and unaddressed issues create chakra imbalances that lead to significant physical, emotional and mental health problems. Self-care is therefore of the utmost importance.
Here are some things to look for to help determine if your Root Chakra is healthy and in balance:
Signs of a balanced Root Chakra include:
- Satisfied with life
- Overall sense of well-being
- Feel safe and secure in the world
- Easily acknowledge and accept basic needs will be met
- Able to let go with ease
- Job/career satisfaction
- Good health
- Physically fit and strong
- Intestinal regularity
- Appropriate body weight
- Abundant energy
- Feeling grounded and centered
Signs of Imbalance in the Root Chakra
- Unwarranted fear and anxiety
- Feeling ungrounded, unsettled
- Use of sexuality for power and/or security
- Disconnection from physical body
- Eating disorders
- Obesity/over weight
- Aggression, rage and violence
- Reckless/careless behaviors and attitude; inability to recognize danger
- Greedy or materialistic
- Hoarding, unable to let go
- Resistant to change
- Unable to manifest material abundance/poverty
- Bone and skeletal disorders
- Autoimmune disorders, illness and poor health
- Low vitality/energy levels
- Spinal issues, lower back pain
- Leg, knee or feet issues
- Intestinal irregularity (colon disorders/constipation/diarrhea)
- Job/career related dissatisfaction and stress or lack of focus
Tips and Tools for Balancing Your Root Chakra
Trauma, unresolved conflicts, karmic and past life circumstances, belief systems and/or chronic behavioral patterns cause imbalances, blockages, and/or damage in the chakras. When imbalances in the chakra system are unresolved, over time the blockage of energy flow manifests as illness, dis-ease or disorder. When the physical body is under continued stress, the chakras will not work properly. The key to healing is to address the root cause of the disorder, not just the symptoms. If you are struggling in some area, it is important to find a qualified healer to support you in your healing process. Various forms of energy healing such as Reiki, Acupressure and Chakra Clearing can help relax, rebalance and open the chakras during a session. In doing so, it creates the opportunity for the chakra to repair itself, stimulating the healing process.
Here are some self care tips and tools you can use to strengthen your Root Chakra.
Methods to help balance the Root Chakra
- Exercise, dance and movement
- Meditation (specifically those that connect you with your body and the Earth)
- Grounding practices
- Walk barefoot on the Earth
- Get out in nature
- Practice letting go. Get rid of old junk and things the are no longer useful.
- Have sex
- Practice gratitude
- Recognize abundance in your world
- Give and receive healthy touch such as massage
- Practice self-reliance
- Create safety in your environment
- Get a pedicure
- Use the color Red: Wear it, eat red foods such as cherries, beets and apples
- Toning: Using the sound LAM, or use Do from the “Do, Re, Mi” scale
The Root Chakra is the foundation of your energetic ‘house’. It draws energy from the Earth to nourish and energize your body. When the Root is compromised, the energy flow to the other chakras may be impacted as well. It is therefore essential to build a strong foundation to overall stability and health.
A general note about Chakra Health
You are constantly interacting with and responding to the world around you. So are your chakras. Practices that help clear and rebalance the chakras are never a “once and done” activity. Just as you would not expect your body to remain clean forever after one shower, your chakras are not going stay clear forever after one meditation or one Reiki session. On-going energetic self-care plays is essential for overall chakra health and well-being. In areas where there is imbalance or damage to one or more chakras, more intensive treatment may be warranted until healing is complete.